Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would be moving to a foreign country to live, let alone a country in the Middle East. Over the 2009 Christmas and New Year’s holidays, my husband Roger and I discussed what we wanted the next part of our life to be like. He thought that before retiring, he would like to do one more airport project but only if he could find something very interesting. I half-jokingly agreed that would be fine but could he try for an exotic location? As usual, Roger came through and soon we were headed to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. This blog is a recap of our "leap-of- faith" wanderings around the Middle East and beyond. We joyfully share these expat experiences.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Blogging Boomers and Their Wide Ranging Tastes


The Boomers are once again cooking up a blog’s full of delightful dishes, offering as many specialties as even the hungriest Baby Boomer could possibly want. For starters, the Accidental Locavore  reports that she finally got back in the kitchen. What’s on the menu? Homemade pastrami from local grassfed beef. Check it out here.

(Also, dial into her very cook video clip, where she demonstrates the secrets of preparing zucchini and summer squash.)

Do you ever wonder what it is like for an American expat to live in the Middle East? See how Katie Foster of “Arabian Tales” explained to her college friends the joys and challenges of “Living in An Islamic Country.”

(She remarks on the similarities between the basic values of Islam and her own Christian beliefs, and she also explains some of the lesser known aspects of women’s rights and marriage.)

Meanwhile, SoBabyBoomer shines a spotlight on Baby Boomers and entrepreneurship, pointing out that from 1966 to 2011 the number of Baby Boomers starting a business increased by nearly seven percent, the largest increase among all age groups. For people 20-44, the number of people starting a new business actually fell about five percent during the same time period.

Despite the business prospects for Baby Boomers, we all know that as we age few of us will escape either the role of the person in need of extra care or caregiver. Laura Lee wishes to share with you a bit of what she has learned about the natural gilt involved in being a primary care giver.

Finally, Vaboomer wonders: Are you a confident woman? Whatever the answer, she redefines the concept in a brief but insightful post at her portal to the Boomeranger world.

As for me, I’ve been thinking about a few things lately, mostly to do with my health. I had a little scare last week, so I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with  . . . hypochondria. Fortunately.

(I’ll tell you more about that in my next post. But right now I’ve suddenly developed a strong craving for something from the kitchen. I don’t know why. But regardless, I’m going to make myself a pastrami sandwich.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment