Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would be moving to a foreign country to live, let alone a country in the Middle East. Over the 2009 Christmas and New Year’s holidays, my husband Roger and I discussed what we wanted the next part of our life to be like. He thought that before retiring, he would like to do one more airport project but only if he could find something very interesting. I half-jokingly agreed that would be fine but could he try for an exotic location? As usual, Roger came through and soon we were headed to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. This blog is a recap of our "leap-of- faith" wanderings around the Middle East and beyond. We joyfully share these expat experiences.

Monday, October 22, 2012

The Fall into Winter Boomer Blog Carnival

Laura Lee Carter, the Midlife Crisis Queen is hosting this week's Boomer Blog Carnival.

It’s now the dying time of the year.  All of our lovely aspen leaves fell off last week, just in time for our first snowfall, which arrived this past Thursday.

OK, I do love the snow, but I hate to see the leaves leave us, and I’m not much on raking either… But enough complaining, especially while our friends on the east coast bear the brunt of the storm!

Here’s the latest from our group of top Boomer Bloggers:




First of all I’d like to introduce you all to a brand new Blogging Boomers member, Helene Bludman.  She started “Books Is Wonderful” in June 1st 2011.  Why is it called that?  Here’s her lovely explanation!

The Accidental Locavore needs a little Pinterest love today. This great recipe for Duck Confit Shepherd’s Pie is a semi-finalist in a contest to get an app developed. Wouldn’t your life be so much better with your own Accidental Locavore recipe app?  Please go to this link and re-pin and like my shepherd’s pie. Although you can only like and re-pin once, you’ve got a lot of friends, don’t you?  Many thanks!

SoBabyBoomer says the fifty-five-year-old-and-up boomer crowd is the only age group that is growing as a share of the American workforce.  But only those with valued skills and advanced education are winning the race to acquire these high wage jobs.

Tom over at Sightings at 60, makes a habit of reading the news and perusing the financial sites, and as a result he sometimes gets discouraged. But if we pause and try to gain some perspective, as he does in this new post, then we should realize there’s No Reason to Panic.

This weekend the Muslim world celebrates one of their most sacred religious holidays – Eid al-Adha, commemorating Abraham’s submission to Allah. It is a time for asking forgiveness from God and starting fresh.  It is also a time for sharing.  A ram is sacrificed and the cooked meat is divided into three parts, one for the family, one for friends and neighbors and one for the poor and needy. In recognition of this holiday Arabian Tales by travel writer Katie Foster shares her friend Anne O’Connell’s story of their visit to Dubai's Jumeirah Mosque in Dubai where they learned more about the Islamic faith. 

Over at The Survive and Thrive Boomer Guide, consumer journalist Rita R. Robison writes about a $1 billion-plus lawsuit by the U.S. Department of Justice, charging Bank of America and two companies it acquired, Countrywide Financial and Countrywide Home Loans, with mortgage fraud.

Screen-Agers: Vaboomer thinks the Digital World is affecting your brain!  Here’s how!

I’ve been busy celebrating up a storm because this blog turns FIVE this week!!!  Yes, I’ve been acting as the Queen of Midlife Crisis for five years now, and LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

Speaking of Pinterest, I find it to be some of the best fun I have on the Internet these days!  Don’t miss out, especially if you are highly visual like me.

Should you ever need a LOL break in the middle of your day, don’t miss my “MIDLIFE MIND” page.  I post all of my favorite jokes and sayings over there, reflecting my strange (and somewhat cynical?) sense of humor.

I’m known as the “MidlifeQueen” on both Twitter and Pinterest.  Please consider following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment